Underwater localization for for a ship hull cleaning robot
Project outside the universityFleet Cleaner
Fleet Cleaner is a young techno startup that is currently finishing a full scale prototype of the robot. Many commercial parties, such as shipping companies, ports, dry dock companies and even paint manufacturers, have expressed their interest already and a first customer for the market in the Netherlands is already attached to Fleet Cleaner.
AssignmentAn essential point in the robot design is the acoustic under water positioning system. A proof of principle test setup is created in earlier research and is available for testing during this thesis. The robot operates in a challenging environment due to reflections, noise, et cetera.
This thesis research focuses on the following:
- Optimization of acoustic transducer placement locations on the ship’s hull
- Acoustic signal modulation on basis of the underwater environment
- Full scale testing in towing tank at 3Me and calibration measurements in port
RequirementsThe company is looking for a talented and enthusiastic master student, preferably with some programming experience, and offers the following:
- 9 months thesis assignment, partly at TU Delft, partly at Fleet Cleaner (in the Delft office)
- Actual testing with acoustic equipment
- High personal freedom and responsibility
prof.dr.ir. Geert Leus
Circuits and Systems Group
Department of Microelectronics
Last modified: 2014-12-03